During the pandemic, I am taking taste-bud journeys as I self-isolate rather than physical journeys. Here is my adapted recipe for making Teriyaki Salmon, Bell Peppers, and Broccoli - served over Rice Pilaf. It was inspired by hearing my younger brother rave about the meal he and his family celebrated Easter Sunday at the Tokyo Restaurant in Nashville, Tennessee where they cook at your table. I'm certain their meals were delicious! I know for sure that mine was. Plus, I didn't have to drive anywhere. I cook pull items from my freezer and have a sit-down dinner in about 16 minutes (12 minutes + 90 seconds + 2 minutes prep).
Side-note: What a difference a year can make! Woe! It was about early February of 2020 that I last went to one of those Asian restaurants where they cook at your table. In Decatur, Alabama, my favorite restaurant of that type was Ninja Japanese Restaurant. Gazing at the very expensive bill, I remember thinking, "I should just buy some rice, some salmon, some veggies, and a teriyaki sauce I really like and make my own!" At that time, I hardly ever cooked and went out to eat a whole lot. I must admit, I feel so much more empowered in the kitchen thanks to all the cooking experiments I have carried out since early December of 2020.
Little did I suspect that day that the thought of sitting down with a bunch of people I didn't know (or even if I did know them) would eventually feel like the riskiest thing ever to do! Sigh and double sigh! Like I said, what a difference a year can make!
By the way, I actually made this meal on Easter Sunday. Happy belated Easter, everybody! May we all have a much happier and safer and healthier coming year!
- Frozen Coho Salmon (or whatever type salmon you like)
- Veggies of your choice - I chose Tri-colored Bell Peppers and Broccoli florets
- About 1/2 cup of Teriyaki sauce - I used Mr. Yoshida's Marinade & Cooking Sauce - Sweet Teriyaki Original Gourmet
- Step 1: Using a microwave steamer, fill it with frozen salmon, frozen veggies, and about 1/2 cup of Teriyaki Sauce.
- Step 2: Add the lid. Microwave for 12 minutes.
- Step 3: Cook your rice. I used Rice Pilaf that can be microwaved and ready to serve in 90 seconds.
- Step 4: Dish out some rice. Top it with your salmon, veggies, and some of the sauce. For me, this was enough to make two servings. Eat and enjoy!