During the pandemic, I am taking taste-bud journeys as I self-isolate rather than physical journeys. Here is my adapted meal-on-a-budget recipe for Black Beans, Corn, & Beef over Yellow Rice. It was inspired by my late husband (R.I.P.), a web recipe, and some experimentation on my part.
Please note that this recipe makes enough for either:
- 3 large servings or
- 5 regular-size servings
- I only used 1 ground beef patty (~ 1/4 lb.). You could use 1 entire pound of ground beef instead. It simply depends on how beef-light or beef-heavy you wish this meal to be. I preferred beef-light as I wanted the emphasis to be on the veggies.
Recipe to make Mahatma Yellow Rice
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 5 oz bag Mahatma yellow rice
- ~ 2/3 cup of water
- ½ cup of liquid from canned black beans
- ½ cup of liquid from canned corn can
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
Recipe to make Ground Beef & Veggies
- ½ tsp chicken bouillon powder
- ¼ cup of water
- 15 oz. can black beans (drained)
- 15.25 oz can corn (drained)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 to 4 ground beef patties (drained)
Please note: You can, of course, use other or additional spices in this meal. I thought the ground cumin gave the meal the smell of a meal one might find at a Mexican Restaurant. For people who are sensitive to spices as I am, this is not spicy - simply flavorful.
Procedure to make Mahatma Rice
- Step 1: Reserve water from can of black beans. (~ ½ cup)
- Step 2: Reserve water from can of corn. (~ ½ cup) Add both to 2-cup measuring cup. Add water until total liquid = 1 2/3 cup.
- Step 3: To this liquid mixture, add in 2 tsp chicken bouillon powder, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 1 tbsp butter. Bring this mixture to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff lightly with fork. (Makes 2 cups)
Procedure to make Ground Beef & Veggies
- Step 4: Meanwhile, in skillet, cook crumbled-up ground beef 7 minutes over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Step 5: In separate saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, drained ground beef, black beans, corn, ¼ cup water, 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp chicken bouillon powder, ½ tsp cumin, & 1 tbsp Worcestershire. Bring to a boil. Then, cover, and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Step 6: Serve this beef & veggie mixture over rice.
Please note: I will definitely make this meal again. Since I live alone, I have enough leftovers for another big meal in the next day or two and a big TV dinner stored in a freezer quart bag in the freezer to be used in the next month or two. Woohoo!
Please also note: Even though this is Yellow Rice, with the addition of the liquid from the can of Black Beans, that caused the rice to be tan instead of yellow.
Cooking Sites that have inspired me:
Books written by Debbie Dunn:
Here is the Amazon Link to all anti-bullying curriculum books plus all children’s books written by Debbie Dunn (both paperback and Kindle). It will open up in a new window.