During the pandemic, I am taking taste-bud journeys as I self-isolate rather than physical journeys. Here is my adapted recipe for Caramelized Apples. It was mostly inspired by a Food Network recipe found on the web. The link to that recipe is listed near the end of this blog.
FYI - This recipe is super sweet. Thank goodness I had very tart apples to kind of neutralize the over-the-top sweetness!
- 1 cup of tightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Sliced and peeled apples
- Step 1: In a large saucepan, add brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, salt, and unsalted butter.
- Step 2: Whisk this together on medium heat until all the butter is melted. This will take about three minutes.
- Step 3: Lower the heat to low. At the four-minute point, add the vanilla extract. Cook on low for one more minute.
- Step 4: Remove from heat. Stir in the sliced apples.
- Step 5: Put on the lid. Cool for a bit at room temperature. Then, place that pot of caramelized applies in the refrigerator.
- Step 6: After it has had a chance to solidify a bit, dish out a bowl of apples and caramel sauce and enjoy!
Easy Caramel Sauce - Recipe Courtesy of Ree Drummond
I mostly followed Ree Drummond's recipe.
Cooking Sites that have inspired me:
Books written by Debbie Dunn:
Here is the Amazon Link to all anti-bullying curriculum books plus all children’s books written by Debbie Dunn (both paperback and Kindle). It will open up in a new window.