During the pandemic, I am taking taste-bud journeys as I self-isolate rather than physical journeys. Here is my adapted recipe for my mom's meatloaf recipe made into miniature loaves. It was inspired by my wonderful mother (R.I.P.) and all the happy memories from the times she cooked this for our family of five. As a grown-up, I have made this multiple times through the years. This is the first time, however, that I have made them into miniature loaves. I figured this would be an easier way to freeze a few of them for future meals.
The recipe made 4 mini loaves with meat to spare. So, I also made 4 meatloaf muffins.
- I also made peas and mashed potatoes as I love that combination.
- The meatloaf freezes beautifully; therefore, I will have future meals to look forward to as I continue sheltering-at-home.
- FYI - I bought the mini loaves and the 4-cup muffin tins on Amazon. I am one of their frequent shoppers. LOL!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used the ones I had dehydrated in the oven.)
- 1/2 tsp dried or regular mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar for meat plus 1 tbsp brown sugar for topping
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp onion flakes
- 3 large eggs or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters
- 1 cup ketchup for meat plus 1 cup ketchup for topping
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds (optional)
- Step 1: Combine dried mustard, sea salt, 1 tbsp brown sugar, Chia Seeds, Worcestershire, onion flakes, eggs, & 1 cup ketchup in a large bowl. Mix well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Step 2: Blend remaining 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 cup ketchup in a small bowl and set aside for later. This will be used to glaze the top of the meatloaf during the cooking process.
- Step 3: Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Step 4: Add beef and breadcrumbs into the mixture in the large bowl and mix well.
- Step 5: Place mixture into a greased loaf pan or several miniature loaf pans.
- Step 6: Bake for 15 minutes, blot up excess fat with paper towel, and then baste with blended 1 cup ketchup and 1 tbsp brown sugar mixture.
- Step 7: Bake for 30 more minutes.
- Step 8: Take it out and let it sit for 5 minutes.
In case you're interested in the loaf pans I used, here are the links. I don't get a cut from them. This is simply listed for your convenience should you be interested in them. I simply adore 'kitchen toys'! LOL!
LERYKIN Mini Loaf Pan Set - NON-STICK,FLEXIBLE Silicone Bread Loaf Pan ! JUST POPS OUT! Perfect for Bread, Cake, Brownies, Meatloaf (4 Pieces)
Cooking Sites that have inspired me:
Books written by Debbie Dunn:
Here is the Amazon Link to all anti-bullying curriculum books plus all children’s books written by Debbie Dunn (both paperback and Kindle). It will open up in a new window.