During the pandemic, I am taking taste-bud journeys as I self-isolate rather than physical journeys. Here is my adapted recipe for Norwegian Casserole with or without giving it an Asian Twist. The Norwegian Casserole recipe itself was inspired by the Norwegian family I stayed with for three weeks during my college abroad to Norway. As always, I have given this recipe a few creative touches.
RECIPE FOR NORWEGIAN CASSEROLE
- 1 pound coleslaw (shredded)
- 10 oz. grated carrots (shredded)
- 1 cut up leek or small onion or 2 to 4 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Large packet of bologna or hotdogs or sausage or vegetarian hotdogs to slice up into fat coin-size pieces or shredded
- 10.5 oz. can of Cream of Onion Soup
- About 2 cups of water
- Minute Rice (one serving per person)
RECIPE TO GIVE MIXTURE AN ASIAN TWIST (optional)
- 1 to 2 tbsp flax cooking oil
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 to 2 tbsp soy sauce
PROCEDURE TO MAKE NORWEGIAN CASSEROLE
- Step 1: In a microwave steamer, pour in the condensed Cream of Onion Soup plus 2 cups of water.
- Step 2: Toss in all other ingredients except the meat. Stir. Steam this about 10 minutes or until fully tender and shrunk down.
- Step 3: In a frying pan, use either butter of cooking oil to fry up the meat.
- Step 4: Add the meat to the vegetable mixture. Steam for 2 more minutes.
- Step 5: Either serve this, as is, over Minute Rice.
- Alternate Step 5: You can take this recipe to the next level by giving it an Asian Twist.
- Alternate Step 5A: Either in an electric grill or in a frying pan, pour in 1 to 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil.
- Alternate Step 5B: Transfer the vegetable and meat mixture into the electric grill or frying pan.
- Alternate Step 5C: Stir in 1 teaspoon of Rice Vinegar and 1 to 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Alternate Step 5D: Grill or fry this for about 5 to 10 minutes until caramelized.
- Alternate Step 5E: You can either serve this mixture over Minute Rice. OR, you can give the rice some extra flavor by adding the rice to the electric grill or frying pan and allow it to caramelize for another minute or two of cooking.
Cooking Sites that have inspired me:
Books written by Debbie Dunn:
Here is the Amazon Link to all anti-bullying curriculum books plus all children’s books written by Debbie Dunn (both paperback and Kindle). It will open up in a new window.
Post a Comment