During the pandemic, I am taking taste-bud journeys as I self-isolate rather than physical journeys. Here is my adapted recipe for Grilled Cheese Open-Faced Sandwich using the homemade bread I had made the previous day. It was inspired by the memories of dozens of grilled cheese sandwiches I have eaten through the years.
- One or more slices of bread
- Enough butter to butter one side of each slice of bread
- 1 or 2 slices of your favorite type of cheese (I used Colby Jack)
This is the link to the blog describing how to make the homemade bread I used in this recipe. It will open in a new window.
Taste-bud Journey: Baking Half a Loaf of Bread using Bread Flour in Mini Pullman Loaf Pan
- Step 1: Butter one side of the slice of bread.
- Step 2: Lay that slice of buttered bread, butter-side down, in an unseasoned frying pan. [FYI- You don't need to add cooking oil as the butter will keep the bread from burning and/or sticking.]
- Step 3: Top the bread slice with one or two slices of your favorite type of cheese. I used 2 slices of Colby Jack cheese.
- Step 4: Fry this long enough that the bottom of the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted into the bread.
- Step 5: Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Cooking Sites that have inspired me:
Books written by Debbie Dunn:
Here is the Amazon Link to all anti-bullying curriculum books plus all children’s books written by Debbie Dunn (both paperback and Kindle). It will open up in a new window.